Doctor Luigi Galvani uses frogs legs to demonstrate the conversion of chemical energy to electrical energy, This is where the story of the original batteries begins
The Italian physicist Alessandro Volta succeeds in storing electricity by using piles of plates made from different metals
Change of company name to 'Accumulatoren Fabrik Tudorschen Systems Müller & Einbeck oHG‘
Acquisition and founding of many factories and subsidiaries both at home and abroad
Together with AEG and Siemens, AFA founded the 'Gesellschaft für elektrische Zugbeleuchtung mbH‘ - Company for electrical train lighting) Berlin.
Takeover of the Accumulatoren-Werke Witten GmbH (Witten in the Ruhr). Founding of Elektromontana GmbH (jointly with RWE).
AFA acquires Deutsche Edison Accumulatoren- Company (DEAC), founded in 1905 for the manufacture of steel batteries, which had been producing batteries in their main works in Hagen since 1920
AFA head office moved from Hagen to Berlin
Acquisition of the Dominit Werke AG (Dortmund), a mining lamp factory
The founder of the company, Adolph Müller, passes on October 13
The accumulator works in Hanover-Stöcken are commissioned
Günther Quandt becomes Chairman of the Board of AFA
The AFA works in Hagen, Hanover, Berlin-Oberschönweide and Berlin Niederschönweide work to produce munitions and for the war effort
From the start of 1941 AFA uses foreign civilian workers and prisoners of war as forced labor. In 1943 around 1,600 Eastern Europeans, Italians, Poles, Frenchmen and French prisoners of war were working at the works in Hagen.
A large part of the buildings of the original works in Hagen were destroyed by air raids. The works in Berlin-Oberschönweide were dismantled and converted into a Soviet limited company. The dry battery works in Niederschönweide were confiscated.
Founding of the Pertrix-Werke Hannover GmbH after the works in Berlin-Niederschönweide were confiscated
AFA takes over BMF, a company which makes dry batteries in the town of Ellwangen an der Jagst, in Württemberg in southern Germany. The range of products also includes loudspeakers, electrolytic condensers and bicycle light systems
The BMF company and Pertrix-Werke GmbH, together with the Hanover works of the Pertrix-Union GmbH are brought together in Ellwangen.
Over the next few years the production of zinc-carbon batteries is gradually built up in Ellwangen – mass production starts in the 1950s with the mono and baby sizes.
Transistor radios begin to appear and increase demand for HT and anode batteries. Over this period Ellwangen is one of the largest European manufacturing sites for cells with plates, including 15 sizes of cells and more than 50 different types of battery.
In the Hagen works the standard production of rechargeable button cells is started up
Dr. Günther Quandt passes on December 30
Pertrix-Union GmbH in Ellwangen creates a branch in Schopfloch for the production of dry batteries
To enable modern mass production the first large production hall using pre-stressed concrete is constructed
Change of name of AFA and its subsidiaries to VARTA Aktiengesellschaft
Pertrix-Union Ellwangen is renamed to VARTA-Pertrix-Union GmbH
Acquisition of the Kasimir Baumgarten battery factory in Dischingen
In Kelkheim near Frankfurt am Main, VARTA AG founds the largest European battery research center
Harald Quandt passes on September 22
A 30 meter high mixing tower for raw materials is built on the works site in Ellwangen.
Start of manufacture of alkaline batteries in Ellwangen
Pilot manufacture of button cells in Ellwangen
Expansion to the Far East with the founding of button cell production in Singapore by VARTA Private Ltd.
Silver oxide-zinc cells and button cells for hearing aids are modified in the Ellwangen works
Construction of another large hall for production. In Ellwangen at this time, around 300 million dry batteries can be produced annually
In Ellwangen button cells for watches are produced
Lithium button cell production moved from the Ellwangen factory to Singapore
The production of alkaline manganese batteries is started large-scale in Dischingen
In Ellwangen a new modern button cell works is constructed
Expansion of the works at Dischingen. Only high performance alkaline manganese energy 2000 batteries are produced here
Lithium circular cell manufacture in Ellwangen
VARTA AG in Bad Homburg acts as a holding company, VARTA Batterie AG (Hanover) and VARTA-Plastic GmbH (Wächtersbach) are the subsidiary companies.
Expansion of battery assembly for the Ellwangen works in Batam, Indonesia
Button cell production is stopped in the Singapore works and is relocated to Ellwangen
Expansion of NiMH manufacture in Ellwangen
The production of zinc-carbon batteries is stopped in Ellwangen
The business area of micro-batteries is split off from VARTA AG, the newly created VARTA Microbattery GmbH becomes a subsidiary of VARTA AG Hanover.
Merger of all the worldwide micro-battery activities in VARTA Microbattery GmbH by restructuring VARTA AG.
Expansion of battery assembly in China by VARTA Microbattery
VARTA Microbattery GmbH is taken over in February 2007 by the Austrian VEG Beteiligungs GmbH part of the Global Equity Partners Group and then at the end of 2007 is sold to Montana Tech Components AG, which is also a holding of Global Equity Partners Group. VARTA AG with its registered office in Hanover continues to exist
Volkswagen AG and VARTA Microbattery GmbH found a cooperative research venture "VW-VM Forschungsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG" as a Joint Venture for the development of lithium ion batteries.
Foundation stone is laid for the new production hall for hearing aid batteries in Ellwangen
VARTA Microbattery is building up in Ellwangen a production of small, rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries.